Blogging has become a popular form of self-expression for individuals who blog recreationally as well as a means of marketing and brand building for business bloggers. Many new bloggers face the challenge of getting viewers to their blog after they have built it and produced content. After setting up your blog it's important to take a few extra steps to increase blog traffic.
Here are 7 ways to increase blog traffic and get more visitors to your site:
- Search Engines - make sure that your blog is visible to the major search engines (such as Google, MSN/Yahoo). When visitors type in keywords into a search engine, the goal is to have your blog show up in the first 10 search results.
- Become part of a blogging tribe - Working as a team is a lot better than working by yourself. Join a team of bloggers who will share each other's content to their own social media/social bookmarking networks. This way your content will spread faster increasing your traffic easier than doing this on your own.
- Build a presence on online social networks - once you set up your profiles at the major social networks, start a conversation with others who will be most receptive to your message. Show off your latest blog content.
- Use social bookmarking - this is a great way to share with other the most interesting content across the web. Tag your website with relevant keywords on the most popular social bookmarking sites (such as StumbleUpon, Digg, etc.) making it easy for your target market to find your blog.
- Participate in guest blogging - guest blogging means writing articles/producing content for other established blogs in your niche or allowing skilled bloggers to produce content for your blog. Your content on someone else's blog helps
- Build a subscriber list through email marketing - Did you know that only a small percentage of people who visit your blog (or any website for that matter) will purchase on the spot? This is why it's important to collect at least an email from your blog visitors so that you can follow-up with them over time and build a relationship. You can also send your blog posts out to other bloggers email lists if they have built a large subscriber following.
- Participate in forum marketing - participating in forums that are within your niche are a great way to learn and showcase your experience and knowledge. Many forums also allow you to place a hyperlink (make it point back to your blog) in your signature.